In all of my 22 years, I've never learned the significance of 'happenstance' situations than I have this past month. I've learned that you can plan and plan, but you never really know what life is gonna throw at you (cue my poor BFF Miss Linds who suffered an unfortunate accident/surgery in the recent week, she is doing better, for those who've reached out to her <3 !). Regardless, it's been a lot of reflecting and reorganizing this month, and it's been a reminder to just be grateful. Sometimes, you just gotta slow down and enjoy the ride. Alright, enough with the sappy sagacity, here's what I've been loving this month!
01. Kat Von D Lock-it Foundation - So I had this in my favorites a while back (about a year ago?) when I started using it, but I thought I'd throw it in again today. 1) Because I'm still using it, and 2) Because I think it's really done wonders for my makeup routine over the past year. I was always a huge supporter of non-foundation foundations, simply because I believed they were a little better for my skin. As I found though, I had a lot of trouble maintaining an even complexion throughout the whole day, not to mention, I would shine up so easily. I appreciate not only the lightness of this foundation, but also it's incredible durability.
02. Colourpop 'Lunch Money' - This super affordable highlighter ($8!!!!) is perfect for your travel bag this summer if you're not looking to spend a ton on a similar shimmery product. It truly has the softest, most buoyant texture and I recommend building this up with a couple of layers to achieve ultra-shine.
03. Benefit Cheek-a-thon Palette (Newer Version Here)- Although I'm very late to the party on this, I found this palette buried under other products of its kind in my palette drawer, totally untouched. As I've mentioned a couple of times on this blog before, I've always received a ton of makeup free-bees from my past internships and collaborations, and this was one of them that I just totally threw in a drawer and forgot about! Until now, that is. I've always been a fan of Benefit's respective blushes and bronzers, so it's even more exciting to have them all boxed together in one set. Perfect for traveling this season, this is definitely going to be a staple in my summer look.
04. Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit in '22'- Ah, an orangey-red lip I've been waiting for. So I actually have a similar version to this color in a Mac Liquid Lipstick in Quite The Standout, but I always found that one to be a little too bright and almost neon. 22 is a much more subtle version of a nice orange-red, but it's not too overpowering which I love.
05. Tweezerman Mini Tweezers- I realized I never talk about my favorite tweezers on this blog, so I knew I had to throw this new one I got into my favorites this month. Tweezerman by far is my favorite tweezer brand (I have like four versions!), and the mini-one is my favorite to throw in my makeup bag for and eyebrow-touch-ups. Plus, it's pink and metallic, so where can you go wrong?
06. 'I Don't Work Here,' 2018-2019 Ban.do Agenda- By far my favorite purchase this month has to be the Ban.do agenda I got for the upcoming year. I was never really an agenda person, but working from home and freelancing has certainly turned me into one. It's just easier to schedule out what I'm doing every day and when my deadlines are for articles or projects. Plus, this one comes with cool stickers and every month has super cool art. So like, it was a no brainer purchase. Shop all of Ban.do's agendas here (they are all so cute it's like insane).
07. Summer Reading- I thought it would be fun to add some of my summer reading to the end of my May Favorites this month. And without surprise, the ones I've chosen so far are obviously murder mysteries (TBH, I only really read mysteries). First up on my list is All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda which I'm about over a quarter-of-the-way through, and it's a cool story about two girls who disappear in a small town. Better yet? The story is told backwards, and it's been interesting to read it that way so far, so I'm excited to reach the end to see how it all wraps up. Second up is going to be The Girls by Emma Cline, which is basically a summer tale about girls who get accosted by a cult, mimicking the Charles Manson story/murders (so fun!) (I'm crazy, I know!)
Here's to the start of an awesome summer and an amazing month of June!
"The miserable have no other medicine, but only hope."
[Measure for Measure 3.1]
Cheers, xx - A. Martine